Sunday, February 15, 2009

A Roadtrip to Malibu and Achieving your childhood dreams

It was a dream come true. I have so long been waiting for this to happen, right from my childhood. Ok, not necessarily my childhood dream, but as an adolescent I always wanted to drive a car and I wanted to drive into the longest of roads, all alone, on a silent morning, away from the city.

The fascination was fueled by the fact that I never got a chance to do so while in college or school, but I don't blame setbacks. Driven by passion, I decided at the start of the semester that I will learn driving and get a Californian license. I had an Indian license (its easy to get one, especially if you have money - sad but true), but I knew how good my driving skills were. I decided to give the written test and took the first available appointment. Gave the test, passed and then on a Sunday I called up this guy called Joe who runs a driving school here. I took three classes and then I passed the driving test on Wednesday. Once the license came on Friday night. I immediately applied to Zipcar. Monday I got the card.

I wanted to drive - badly. I was but not confident though. I never took a car all by myself. There would always be a guy sitting next to me, pressing the brakes whenever I hadn't. I didn't know what to do. Gradually my temptation overcame my fear and I took a car on a thursday morning when the traffic was low. I enjoyed it, but not so well. I felt calm for a few more days.

On the same week on saturday, I again wanted to drive, this time I wanted to go on the freeway. I badly needed somebody with me to boost confidence and two of my friends had told me that they would come with me for a trip to Santa Monica. We had planned for Sunday evening. On saturday evening, they pulled out of the equation. I felt like a child crying for his stolen candy.

I couldn't sleep that night. I wanted my candy. I was afraid though. And it was no fun to go to santa monica beach all alone. I didn't know what occured to me then, I woke up, switched on my computer and booked a car for the next day morning at 6:30am! Then I slept, peacefully.

The next day, I woke up even before my alarm went off. I prepared myself and finally went to the place to take the car. I was a little more confident because this was my second time, but I was no more feeling nervous to enter the freeway.

I drove my way to glory and four year old in me kept smiling all throughout the way. I went to Malibu, the famed Hwy 1 also known as the Pacific Coast Highway. The scenery was breathtaking.

It was a peculiar moment for me. Even though I fumbled around not knowing how to fill gas in my car, even though it was weird that I went 30miles along the road and took a U turn to return back without actually doing something, I cherish that day till now.
Not only this, I did get these goals sorted out recently:
  1. Learning to swim - learnt it last year.
  2. Learning piano - going to classes this year.
  3. Being able to earn money - I bought a laptop for my sister.
The whole episode might sound funny to you, but believe me, if you ever dreamt of something special for a long time, and if you worked towards it with your full heart, when you realise the dream, you will be the happiest man on the earth. So was I.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Simply lovvved this post !! Totally identify with what you felt, though must admit did not expect such courage and restlessness from you :). Full of appreciation though !!

Unknown said...

Thanks dude!!

theWay said...

I am motivated and envious at the same time. Motivated to do many things I am only planning and envious, seeing you execute your plans so well. [:)]
I have been planning to buy(read learn) bike for so long but has yet to apply for learning DL.

Saikiran said...

Sahi bey Audi khaaredney kaa time aa gaya hai.... :)